Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Valentine to Growing Up

Is it cool to like this movie? Does it make me a hipster if I admit to enjoying Spike Jonze’s adaptation of Maurice Sednak’s treasured picture book? I think it’s a common misconception that, in order to like this movie, one must be a twenty-something in possession of a liberal arts degree and an iPod full of indie bands. At the end of the day, Where the Wild Things Are is a coming of age story whose bittersweet charm is hard to ignore. 
This movie was far from perfect. I do not think I would have had the attention span as a child to sit through the 101 minute runtime, and my favorite movie was Born Free. There were certainly parts that dragged, (the scene in which the monsters decide whether or not to eat Max was far longer than necessary) and the characters sometimes felt underdeveloped, rushing inexplicably from mood to mood, but for a full length film adapted from a forty-eight page children’s book, the plot was surprisingly filled-out and contained an abundance of insightful moments.  
There are two reasons why I didn’t write this movie off as a flash in the pan of contemporary independent cinema. First, the visuals and scene compositions were stunning. One scene that stands out vividly in my mind is when Max is alone in his room, building his fort. The audience is allowed into this quiet, private moment, and without much work from the child actor, the feeling of creative potential tempered by isolation is beautifully conveyed. The majority of the scenes on the island are also breathtaking; Max and the monsters running to the very edge of the cliff, and Carol showing Max his miniature city remain among my favorites from the film.
Secondly, I am an absolute sap for stories about growing up. Some people were quick to write Max off as a trouble maker, a little brat who craves attention and will do anything to get it. However, I disagree with this interpretation. Max was neglected, and he sought acceptance outside of his family circle. He was brave, cunning, and resilient, and used his skills to enrich the lives of his new monster friends (for the most part). The part was acted honestly by Max Records, who brought energy and a certain sweetness to a role that could have been irritating in the hands of another. While some of my good will towards the movie was usurped by the obnoxious Judith (voiced by Catherine O’Hara), James Gandolfini in the role of Carol and Records both were able to create a touching relationship that overshadowed my annoyance with some of the secondary characters. Max ultimately learns the value of humility, truth, and character, while recognizing that there truly is nothing like family. While perhaps Where the Wild Things Are will not be the instant classic that was Toy Story 3, I believe that viewers will find in it a candid account of learning to fly, and will surely delight in this visual confection.
I was a little bit late to jump on the Where the Wild Things Are train because the book was never a childhood favorite. Maybe that’s the reason I was able to enjoy the movie; I had no source material against which to measure it. Darker than I expected, this movie felt as familiar as last winter’s sweater, but left a coppery taste in my mouth reminiscent of summer’s final golden afternoon. A beautiful tribute to those of us with rampant imaginations, a sense of adventure, and a secret awe of all things wild. 

I have a sadness shield that keeps out all the sadness, and it's big enough for all of us. 

Click here to watch the trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3225158169/


1 comment:

  1. This movie sounds charming. I also skiipped it as my favorite Sendak was "Chicken soup with rice!" I'll go back and take a peak...FYI- there is a new sendak documentary on HBO.

    ReplyDelete